I want to dispute the accuracy of my background report

Get Faster Results by Reading This

We obtain information from public records. If you believe that the public record itself is incorrect, you will need to contact the public agency to seek a correction, since we cannot correct this for you.

If you believe that our report incorrectly states what the public records show or that our report incorrectly states anything other than a public record, you can have us reinvestigate our report by filling out and returning our Dispute Form please view the Summary of Rights or by contacting our CONSUMER RELATIONS DEPARTMENT by telephone at (866) 225-2435 or by fax to (800) 417-7498.

We do not make decisions for anyone based on our reports. For example, we do not make employers’ hiring decisions. If you believe that a report we provided to someone was correct, but disagree with the decision being made based on it, you will need to contact the person who used the report.

I want to dispute the accuracy of my background report


If you obtained an expungement for a criminal record, we recommend that you visit the Foundation for Continuing Justice. They offer a free service to those who have had their criminal record sealed, expunged, set aside, or otherwise modified by the court to have this information updated and removed from private companies who provide the information for private background checks.


You can also have us disclose information in our files. There are legal conditions you have to fulfill before we can disclose information to you. To ask for a disclosure, please contact our consumer relations department by telephone at (866) 225-2435, by fax to (800) 417-7498 or by mail to Legal Locator Service; Attn: Consumer Relations Department; 16869 SW 65th Avenue, Suite 334, Lake Oswego, Oregon 97035. Please make sure to include a telephone number where we can contact you so that we can help authenticate and identify you for privacy purposes.

You should receive your reports within 15 days of submitting a Dispute Request Form. It is possible that we may not have the specific information you are requesting. If Legal Locator Service does not have any reports on you, Legal Locator Service will confirm this with a written response. Please provide the name of the company (employer or property manager) that provided Legal Locator Service the records on the report you are disputing.

As required under section 613 of the FCRA, legallocatorservice.com sends notices to the subjects of some of our reports. This does not replace the Pre-Adverse-action and Adverse-action notices that the employer must send under 604 of the FCRA.